Fellow of the Cockrell Family Dean's Chair in Engineering Excellence
Biomedical Imaging and Instrumentation
Phone: (512) 471-1733
Office: BME 4.202L
Medical imaging; multi-modal imaging; photoacoustic imaging; elasticity imaging; cellular/molecular imaging; functional imaging; image-guided therapy; contrast agents; nanoparticles; therapeutics.
The overall mission of the Ultrasound Imaging and Therapeutics Research Laboratory is to design, develop, test, and validate devices, methods and algorithms for diagnostic imaging and therapeutic applications. A primary focus of our laboratory is to develop new methods and define the clinical utility of the developed technologies as it applies to detection, diagnosis and therapy of cancer and other pathologies. Therefore, the projects in our laboratory are ranging from molecular imaging to functional imaging and tissue differentiation, from drug delivery and release to image-guided surgery and intervention.
Almost everything we do will somewhat involve ultrasound or acoustic waves. However, other forms of energy are also used in our research. It is not the energy source but rather the application that dictates the choice. Furthermore, nanotechnology plays a critical role in our research. Overall, we are a full-spectrum research group leading the discovery, development and integration of biomedical imaging technologies for fundamental research and clinical applications.
- M. Qu, S. Mallidi, M. Mehrmohammadi, R. Truby, K. Homan, P. Joshi, Y.-S. Chen, K. Sokolov, and S. Emelianov, Magneto-photo-acoustic imaging, Biomedical Optics Express, 2(2), 386–396 (2011)
- Y-S. Chen, W. Frey, S. Kim, P. Kruizinga, K. Homan, and S. Emelianov, Silica-coated gold nanorods as photoacoustic signal nanoamplifiers, Nano Letters 11 (2), 348–354 (2011)
- M. Mehrmohammadi, J. Oh, S. Mallidi, S.Y. Emelianov, Pulsed magneto-motive ultrasound imaging using ultrasmall magnetic nanoprobes, Molecular Imaging, 10(2), 102–110 (2011)
- K.A. Homan, J. Chen, A. Schiano, M. Mohamed, K.A. Willets, S. Murugesan, K.J. Stevenson, and S. Emelianov, Silver-polymer composite stars: synthesis and applications, Advanced Functional Materials, 21(9):1673–1680 (2011)
- J.L. Su, R.R. Bouchard, A.B. Karpiouk, J.D. Hazle, and S.Y. Emelianov Photoacoustic imaging of prostate brachytherapy seeds, Biomedical Optics Express 2(8), 2243-2254 (2011)
- B. Wang and S. Emelianov, Thermal intravascular photoacoustic imaging, Biomedical Optics Express, 2(11), 3072-3078 (2011)
- S. Kim, Y.-S. Chen, G.P. Luke and S.Y. Emelianov, In vivo three-dimensional spectroscopic photoacoustic imaging for monitoring nanoparticle delivery, Biomedical Optics Express, 2(9), 2540-2550 (2011)
- J.R. Cook, R.R. Bouchard, S.Y. Emelianov, Tissue-mimicking phantoms for photoacoustic and ultrasonic imaging, Biomedical Optics Express, 2(11), 3193-3206 (2011)
- S. Yoon, S.R. Aglyamov A.B. Karpiouk, S. Kim, and S.Y. Emelianov, Estimation of mechanical properties of viscoelastic medium using laser-induced microbubble interrogated by acoustic radiation force, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 130(4), 2241-2148 (2011)
- Y.-S. Chen, W. Frey, S. Aglyamov and S. Emelianov, Environment-dependent generation of photoacoustic waves from plasmonic nanoparticles, Small, DOI: 10.1002/smll.201101140 (2011)
- K.A. Homan, M. Souza, R. Truby, G.P. Luke, C. Green, E. Vreeland, S. Emelianov, Silver nanoplate contrast agents for in vivo molecular photoacoustic imaging, ACS Nano, DOI: 10.1021/nn204100n (2011)
- K. Wilson, K. Homan and S. Emelianov, Biomedical photoacoustics beyond thermal expansion using triggered nanodroplets aporization for contrast-enhanced imaging, Nature Communications, DOI: 10.1038/ncomms1627 (2012)